Enjoy juicy and savory chicken for dinner with this recipe for braised chicken with artichokes and olives from the New York Times. The chicken came out perfectly tender and I loved the flavors from the artichokes, tomatoes and olives – it was the perfect combination of savory, acidic and salty. Sprinkle a little cheese on top for some extra indulgence and voilà!
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 ½ lemons
- 3 medium artichokes, about 1 1/2 pounds (I used canned artichokes instead)
- 3 ½ pounds bone-in chicken pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- ⅓ cup pitted olives, halved (use black, green or a mix)
- 2 large rosemary branches
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, as needed
- Chives or mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into a large bowl of water. Discard the outer leaves of each artichoke. As you do so, and as you continue cleaning the artichokes, dip them into the lemon water to stop the cut sides from browning. Use a paring knife to peel the base and stems. Slice off the top third of each artichoke. Slice the artichokes in half lengthwise. Using a teaspoon or grapefruit spoon, scoop out the hairy chokes inside, pulling out any prickly purple leaves as well. Slice each half into three pieces. Put trimmed artichoke pieces in lemon water until needed. (I used canned artichokes instead so I skipped this step. I rinsed and drained the canned ones I purchased).
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Pat the chicken dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper. In a large (12-inch) ovenproof skillet with a lid, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and sear in batches until well browned, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add artichokes (if using fresh) and garlic to pan, adding more oil if needed, and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and red pepper flakes; cook 1 minute more.
- Pour in wine and stir in olives, rosemary branches and grated zest of 1/2 lemon. (Do not discard after zesting.) Return chicken to pan. Bring liquid to a simmer. (If using canned artichokes, add them now)
- Cover pan and transfer to oven. Cook until chicken is tender, 30 to 35 minutes. (Check white meat after 25 minutes and remove from oven if done.) Transfer chicken to a plate and place skillet over medium-high heat. Simmer until pan juices thicken and become saucelike, about 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk in butter.
- Return chicken to pan and sprinkle with cheese. Adjust oven heat to broil and place pan in the oven until cheese is melted and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. (Watch carefully to see that it does not burn.) Squeeze juice of remaining lemon half over pan and serve garnished with chives or mint if you like.