Looking for a vegetarian side to add to your dinner? Look no further than this brown rice with mushrooms and apricots from Whole Foods. Filling, savory and decadent – you’ll be scooping up huge portions and this side dish may turn into your entree.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound sliced button mushrooms
- 2 portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped non-sulfite dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup total chopped fresh parsley and thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- In a medium saucepan, sauté mushrooms and onions in warmed oil over medium-high heat, stirring often, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in rice, water or broth, salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is completely absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Remove covered pot from heat and let sit 10 minutes; uncover and fluff with fork. Transfer to large bowl, add apricots, walnuts, herbs, vinegar and toss to combine.