This butternut squash cacio e pepe recipe from Bon Appétit is a great healthy alternative to pasta. I added kale to the recipe, which is reflected below. Indulge all you want in pasta night with this vegetable-based pasta dish that’s simple to make.
Yield 4 servings
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 pound sweet loose Italian sausage, casings removed, torn into small pieces
- 3 ounces Parmesan, finely crumbled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch of kale
- Preheat oven to 400°. Mix garlic and butter in a large bowl until garlic is evenly distributed. Add squash, sausage, cheese, salt, and pepper and toss until squash is evenly coated in garlic-butter mixture.
- Scrape into a medium heatproof skillet, cover tightly with foil, and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until squash is tender and lightly browned around the edges, 20–30 minutes more.
- If adding kale, sauté while everything is in the oven and add together once everything is cooked.