After finally having a successful meal for the “try a new dinner recipe” Lindsay and I are doing, we’re feeling more confident in our cooking abilities. For the latest week, we made a spicy garlic salmon recipe from All Recipes and cauliflower rice recipe from The Kitchn. We changed both recipes a bit to fit what ingredients we had available, and it turned out great. We were a bit nervous for the salmon because we didn’t have the proper mustard, but it was still tasty. We were also surprised by how good the cauliflower rice was. I sometimes worry healthy alternatives are sad attempts at the real thing, but this rice was scrumptious and I will be making it again. Stay tuned for our upcoming cooking adventures.
Spicy garlic salmon ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Black pepper to taste
Spicy garlic salmon directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a medium baking dish with aluminum foil. Lightly grease foil.
- Mix together garlic, pepper, and olive oil. Mix into a thick paste with the mustard, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Place the salmon fillets in the prepared baking dish, and coat with the paste mixture.
- Bake salmon 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until fish is easily flaked with a fork.
Cauliflower rice ingredients:
- 1 head cauliflower, any size
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt, optional
Cauliflower rice directions:
- Cut the cauliflower into large pieces, trimming the core.
- Pulse the cauliflower in the food processor until broken down and in grains.
- Place cauliflower in pot or skilled with melted butter. Cover and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until tender.