If you’re looking for a simple and healthy recipe, this southwestern stuffed bell pepper is a winner. I made only half a bell pepper, and the recipe below reflects that, but a whole bell pepper may be more filling. This recipe is derived from The Comfort of Cooking, but I made a few changes to fit my taste. My mom always said the best recipes are the ones you tweak to make your own. Try it out and enjoy!
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1/8 cup of quinoa
- 1/4 cup pineapple peach salsa
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup corn (canned is okay)
- Sriracha to taste
- Dash or two of chili powder
- Dash or two of cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cheese to taste (I used chipotle Gouda)
- 1/4 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro (optional, I didn’t use this)
- Cut bell pepper in half and remove seeds. Place on cooking tray with the cut side down. Bake in preheated 425°F oven 15 minutes or until skins begin to bubble and peppers are just tender.
- Boil quinoa with 1/8 cup of water over medium heat. After it has begun to boil, reduce to medium heat and cover with lid. Cook until all liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in salsa, beans and corn, Sriracha, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, mix.
- Fill baked peppers with quinoa mixture; cover with foil. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 15 minutes. Uncover and top with cheese slices. Continue baking 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling is hot. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if wanted.