For the latest cooking adventures Lindsay and I do every Thursday night, we made veggie burgers and sweet potato fries. The veggie burger recipe was from Bon Appétit and baked sweet potato fries recipe was from Paula Deen on Food Network. Both recipes were simple to make and turned out great. However, we made a slight mistake with the veggie burgers. We were suppose to let them chill in the fridge for an hour before grilling, but we were getting hungry and stuck them in the freezer for about 30 minutes. This caused the burgers to not bind well so they tasted more like sloppy Joe’s than burgers. They were still delicious regardless. We tweaked both recipes to have a smaller serving size, and that is reflected below in the ingredients. We also used quinoa instead of white rice for the burgers. We topped our burgers with avocado, crispy fried onions, and a mixture of mayo, Ketchup and Sriracha. Top with your favorite fixings and enjoy!
Veggie burger ingredients:
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 medium shallot, chopped
- 6 slices pickled jalapeño
- 1/2 tablespoon prepared barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, preferably ancho
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 large egg white
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 hamburger buns
- Favorite burger toppings (for serving)
Veggie burger instructions:
Cook quinoa according to package directions and let cool.
Set aside 1/4 cup beans. Pulse shallot, jalapeño, barbecue sauce, chili powder, cumin, and remaining beans in a food processor until a chunky purée forms.
Transfer purée to a medium bowl and mix in egg white, quinoa, and reserved beans; season with salt and pepper. Form mixture into 3 patties about 1/2-inch thick; cover and chill 1 hour (this helps bind patties so they stay intact while cooking).
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in two batches and adding remaining 2 tablespoons oil between batches, cook patties until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes per side. Serve on buns with desired toppings.
Sweet potato fries ingredients:
- Olive Oil, for tossing
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch long slices, then 1/4-wide inch strips, using a crinkle cut knife
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
Sweet potato fries directions:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a sheet tray with parchment. In a large bowl toss sweet potatoes with just enough oil to coat. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Spread sweet potatoes in single layer on prepared baking sheet, being sure not to overcrowd.
- Bake until sweet potatoes are tender and golden brown, turning occasionally, about 20 minutes. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.